Thursday, May 17, 2007

Chicago - my kind of town!

What a great way to start a U.S. tour - with a stop in your hometown! It was great to be back in Chicago yesterday where I met up with my Mom, sister, brother, and sister-in-law for dinner before the concert. We had a wonderful time catching up on family news and had many laughs at dinner.
Unfortunately, all I performed on in Chicago was the encore - Smetana's "Dance of the Comedians" from the Bartered Bride. Although it was a short experience on Orchestra Hall's stage, it was still incredible to be back. I had performed on that stage many times throughout my undergraduate degree at Northwestern University playing with the Civic Orchestra of Chicago. I practically "grew up" in that Hall - listening to amazing performances by the CSO and participating in concerts of my own.
It's an amazing space and playing there again brought back lots of happy memories.

Thursday morning I had the chance to meet up with members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's percussion section (my beloved teachers and friends) for coffee before their 10 a.m. rehearsal. I also had the good fortune of listening to their rehearsal. The orchestra is as amazing as I remembered it 10 years ago.

Chicago was an inspiring stop - and one that I always cherish!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How pleased we are Angie that you "visited" Chicago but that you are at "home" with us. We are so fortunate. Carl Kleis