Saturday, May 19, 2007

"Ah, the Glamour of it All!"

As I was packing at home for the start of the Philly Orchestra's tour, I eyed my suitcase with susupicion, as it was starting to show more than a little wear after perhaps a decade of touring and other personal trips. But, as usual, I had no time at the last minute to run out and replace it.

Saddly, when it arrived in my hotel room in Kansas City, I could only unzipper the main compartment about 3/4 of the way: totally unacceptable for a tour of this duration! I was quite nervous that the zipper might not hold for the flight to Chicago and that my clothes might be strewn here and there, but then I thought that it would be a great excuse to go shopping.

I had no time to shop in Kansas City as I had made arrangements to meet up with a couple of Kansas City musicians to dine at a famous barbeque restaurant. Being from Southern Indiana where folks take their barbeque seriously, I was NOT going to cancel that dinner engagement over a silly suitcase issue!

As soon as the busses dropped us off at the hotel in Chicago, Hai-Ye Ni and I headed for the famous Marshall Field's department store (now a Macy's!). We perused the extensive luggage selection and I left with two new pieces of luggage in a very snazzy cobalt blue color. Hai-Ye was also shopping for evening wear so we had a lot of fun trying on some rather outlandish dresses (no purchases!).

Tonight many of the cellists (and I'm sure that word will spread past the cello section) are planning on going out for the famous Omaha Steaks. We'll be thinking of you!

Cheers,

Gloria dePasquale

No comments: